[thelist] SQL CASE

Chrome admin at chrome.me.uk
Fri Sep 26 04:32:31 CDT 2008

Hi all

This is probably something stupid that I've done and can't see... I'm trying
to use a CASE statement to detect a null value and return a value based on

Here's the devastatingly simple code I've tried

   logo AS logo_url,
   CASE logo
      WHEN NULL THEN 'This is NULL';
      WHEN NOT NULL THEN 'This is not NULL';
    affiliate_account_id = 1;

I've tried omitting the semicolons from the WHEN statements and I've tried
using logo_url instead of logo in the CASE bit but all I get are syntax
errors (really unhelpful ones: error next to '' on line blah)... I've also
tried things like WHEN '' blah

Can anyone see what I've naffed up?  Do I need more caffeine?

Cheers in advance

Dan (who's really glad it's Friday)