[thelist] Getting version control into the office for the first time

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 11:03:40 CDT 2008

Hello all

I'm hoping to convince the boss about the benefits of using a version
control system over the current system of there being _no system_. We are
taking on a third developer soon and I can see things going quite wrong
quite quickly.

I've read up about Subversion and it seems the way to go, but I'm open to
suggestions of simpler alternatives if you have them.

So, my questions are:

What are your experiences of getting version control into a development
environment (we are a LAMP house) for the first time?

What things do you wish you'd know about before you started (technical or
otherwise)?

What would we need to look out for with regard to common mistakes and doing
things the wrong way (ie, bad habits)?

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions or warnings you can share -
unfortunately there's only so much I can learn from developing with a local
repository and myself.

Thanks in advance, have a good weekend

Barry