[thelist] iPhone (browser) detection

Ben Dyer radicalbender at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 18:59:31 CDT 2008

Here's a useful article about how JavaScript plays on iPhone:
http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2008/08/iphone_events.html

As for the original question about separate iPhone sites, I'm not a
fan of them on my iPhone.  They tend to be poor, information-deficient
versions of their parent sites.  And they tend to annoy me even more
because the iPhone is usually more than capable of viewing most
websites.  The mobile Twitter site, for example, omits their
narcissistic statistical data.  You can click over to the standard
version, but it never preserves your choice.  Load it up again, and
you're back on the mobile site.  The mobile NBC site is another
classic blunder.  If you are going to a particular page on the iPhone,
it will automatically redirect you to their main mobile page.
Completely unacceptable.  Especially if I clicked on a link and I'm
not sure where I was supposed to be going.

One thing that will help iPhones view your content, however, is the
viewport meta tag.

That will specify the default viewing area for your site for the
iPhone.  I've found that to be a lot more helpful for iPhone display
than mobile-specific sites.

--Ben

--
Radical Bender