[thelist] pesky mail problem

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 30 22:10:08 CDT 2008

One of my clients switched from cbeyond to another provider and just
like that lost email notifications coming from their ecommerce site.
The site is hosted by rackforce.  I have access to the plesk panel and
shell access to the site.   I ought to be able to do command line mail
be doing:

mail bobm at dottedi.biz <cr>  etc...

This fails with no obvious error; I tried doing mail -v to see a verbose
output but apparently wrong argument.

I also made up a very simple php file which when accessed should send me
a test message.  It also fails, something like:

$message = "Email body/contents";
$subject = "Test of php email script";
$to = "bobm at dottedi.biz";
$from = "From: admin at wherever.com";
mail ($to, $subject, $body, $from);

No dice of course.  Finally within zen-cart itself I found the
configuration item for the mail server which was originally set to
"mail.west.cbeyond.com" and changed it to: "smtp.integra.net" and the
dice remain silent.

What are some UNIX/Linux command line tests I can do to determine the
root cause?  As I have access to Plesk, is there anything in the control
panel that needs to be changed that might still be referencing cbeyond?

Bob Meetin

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!