[thelist] pesky mail problem

Chris Booth chris at gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 1 09:00:19 CDT 2008

Hi Bob,

"553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
(#5.7.1)" That would suggest to me that mail server at integra.net
doesn't recognise you as someone it is allowed to relay mail from.

It's quite normal for mail servers to be configured to reject mail
from  random sources (such a spammers) and only relay mail from known
sources. There are various ways in which the server can recognise the
sender (it's not enough to look at the HELO command - you could
actually type anything there). One possibility is that it looks at
the IP address the mail is sent from; another is to require you to
authenticate yourself before sending mail. I think your best bet is
to speak to integra.net and ask them what you need to do to be
allowed to relay mail.

(The 553 message is a bit confusing, as it seems to be saying the
problem is with the recipient's domain. As I understand it, what's
happening is that the mail server is set up to deliver mail from
anyone directly to certain domains. In this case "dottedi.biz" is not
on the list of domains the server knows about, so it has to relay the
message, ie send it on to another SMTP server which can deliver the
message. But it is only allowed to realy mail from known sources, so
it rejects your message.)

Hope that helps,

Chris

--