[thelist] CMS and other acronyms

Christie Mason CMason at ManagersForum.com
Sun Oct 5 13:38:42 CDT 2008

I'm putting together a quick Web 101 presentation and I thought a brief
history of the changes in acronyms could be interesting.  Here are the first
few that I thought of.

CMS
Customer/Client Management System - Content Management System - Course
Management System.
During a previous discussion I had some sympathy for the view of one poster
who still thought of CMS as "Client/Customer Management Systems" instead of
"Content Management Systems".  For the past few years I know that the
educational/training industry has referred to CMS as COURSE Management
Systems, but they seem to also be coming around to the concept that CMS
stands for "Content".  I started wondering when the shift had occurred that
CMS became commonly accepted as "Content MS" I strongly doubt it was 10
years ago, as someone claimed, and that impression seems to be supported by
going to the Google index of 2001 http://www.google.com/search2001/  and
searching for "CMS".  I have an impression that the shift occurred about 5
years ago as site pages moved from static to dynamic.  Does anyone have a
solid resource indicating when CMS became common usage for  "Content"?

ASP
Active Server Pages - Application Service Provider.  This one used to be
very confusing but now that usage of Active Server Pages is moving towards
.NET it seems to me that Application Service Provider has "won" this
acronym.    Seems they overlapped for about 3-4 years, does that seem
correct?

DOS/DoS
Disk Operating System - Denial of Service.  Yes, I've around long enough to
remember writing DOS batch files, so I was quite confused the first few
times I saw DoS in a headline, but DOS is dead so DoS lives.

Other ideas?

Christie Mason