[thelist] CMS and other acronyms

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 14:38:02 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Christie Mason
<CMason at managersforum.com> wrote:
> I'm putting together a quick Web 101 presentation and I thought a brief
> history of the changes in acronyms could be interesting.

> CMS

> I started wondering when the shift had occurred that
> CMS became commonly accepted as "Content MS" I strongly doubt it was 10
> years ago, as someone claimed

? I've never thought of it as meaning anything else -- and that goes
back to at least the early '90s. I think your other definitions reflect a
specific (and relatively small) user group.

> I have an impression that the shift occurred about 5
> years ago as site pages moved from static to dynamic.

"moved from static to dynamic ... 5 years ago"??  That seems, well,
/much/ too recent to me, but I have no statistics to quote, so...

Regardless, a "Content Management System" is not something that
was invented for the Web. Yes, hard to believe, but there was actually
content to be managed and published before HTML, and it wasn't all
on stone tablets.  :-)

Regardless, good luck with your presentation!

H*
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com