[thelist] front end design: liquid design

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 20 03:42:18 CDT 2008

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2008/10/19 20:11 (GMT+0100) Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis composed:
>> a TV schedule where pixels represent minutes. But em, ex, and percentage
>> errors widths can introduce rounding errors, which (worse still) differ
>> between browsers.
>
> Those rounding errors don't matter to users. Users don't open the same page
> in multiple browsers looking for minute differences to complain about to
> other designers.

I'm not talking about rounding errors that make the page less pretty.
I'm talking about rounding errors that break visual communication of
information like program length and the relative times of programs. The
problem is that program lengths won't be accurately represented even
within the same browser, let alone cross-browser, because of rounding up
and rounding down.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis