[thelist] front end design: liquid design

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 20 03:55:43 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 09:42 +0100, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> I'm not talking about rounding errors that make the page less pretty.
> I'm talking about rounding errors that break visual communication of
> information like program length and the relative times of programs. The
> problem is that program lengths won't be accurately represented even
> within the same browser, let alone cross-browser, because of rounding up
> and rounding down.

If layout really is that critical to the communication of a message, it
is no longer appropriate to use HTML, with or without CSS; instead, one
should be using PDF.

That said, in this specific example, there are ways to represent a TV
schedule in HTML that are not nearly as fragile with regard to possible
layout differences.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>