[thelist] Single or multiple MySql databases.

Duncan Hill dunkaz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:38:32 CDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:01:15 +0100, Brian Cummiskey <Brian at hondaswap.com>
wrote:

> I generally keep all of my site's inner workings in one database.
>
> To save conflicts, I use prefixes on the tables, such as wp_ for the
> word press tables, and list_ for the phplist
>
> The advantage to this is that if someday you need to join data, its FAR
> easier to join within the same database for a simple query.
>
> If you don't ever see that happening, you can certainly use a separate
> DB.

Thanks Brian,

At the minute, I don't forsee a need for building queries on the data ...
but, it is early days yet and my experience with MySQL is limited. If
there is a chance to perhaps make life easier in the future, a single
table may be a worthwhile option.

My concern was that I may be creating additional difficulties by only
using a single database.
I think that I'll test both methods and see which I feel most comfortable
with.

Duncan