[thelist] perl and cgi-bin

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sat Nov 1 10:43:41 CDT 2008

I'm running into some problems with cgi-bin/perl a site after the
hosting service had an outage.  This is not my cup of tea, so be nice.

I have dadamail/mojomail running fine on a bunch of sites.  To install
it you upload to cgi-bin and update some config files.  Sometimes you
have to check/fix directory/file permissions - mostly 755 for
directories and 644 for files, except mail.cgi which is executable.

On all the sites where it is working cgi-bin is under webroot - i.e.
/home/myaccount/www/cgi-bin
Here it was sitting at /home/myaccount/cgi-bin.  This wasn't about to
work, so I created it under www.

I set up everything mimicing a site where I'd recently installed
dadamail 3.0 (latest) but accessing mail.cgi displays a blank page.  Not
knowing too much about perl, I found a copy of hello world via google
and placed it in the same folder, making it executable.  All it does is
display the contents of the file:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<H1>Hello World</H1>\n";

On my site it prints Hello World.  So, I'm guessing that it's either a
problem with perl or perhaps the path to perl.  Other question, other
than the fact that cgi-bin typically resides under www, is there
anything particular about it?

Over....

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!