[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with onlyHTML/CSS skill?

Sutherland, Paul Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz
Tue Nov 11 03:26:47 CST 2008

Yes you can

well we have a 15.000 page website - built mostly by  hand (and love)

Some pages are generated using various applications we have developed on
a low tech shoestring, or a bit of old tech, with post generation find
and replaces. Our environment has not allowed us to develop - or use
anything else due to various pathetic mostly internal reasons.

We are just moving to Dreamweaver templates - and planing to use
Contribute to expand our author base, - but up to now human process,
checking and SSI and some serious caring has got us by.

I think the CMS model is over rated - the people and editorial workflow
is most important - so many sites seem to be munged into what the
technology drives you too

That said we know we have much room for improvement... - but many (most)
of our page validate, look ok and read good as well.

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/

Oh I guess we are not a glamourous site though

I also manage a site somewhere else with just Dreamweaver and love - on
apache with nothing else aveilable server side - even not SSI or access
to .htaccess. It has 2000ish pages http://www.physicsroom.org.nz/

To make global changes I find and replaces - I admit it dont yet
validate - maybe my christmas task...

/paul