[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Will willthemoor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:05:13 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:

> Will wrote:
> > The only drawback from your original rules is that using php will require
> > her to set up a local dev environment and work from there. No big deal in
> > the days of WAMP/MAMP stacks where you get the whole shebang at the click
> of
> > an icon.
> >
> Sorry I am a bad English speaker : What you listed is the drawback I
> describe if I use CMS (not PHP)

If you're using PHP for includes and want to see your changes locally,
you'll need to run a local server (same as using ssi - no apache = no ssi).
WAMP makes it easy.

> What the people cannot get is CMS is much easier than PHP for her.

Actually, I think you're not getting it! ;)  The method described here a few
times for using PHP as a templating system requires exactly no scripting.
Requires includes only - just like ssi and way simpler than learning a CMS's
templating engine and imposed business rules.  The mezzoblue article extends
that a tiny bit by passing variables to the includes. Really, 15 minutes of
training for anyone who knows html.  PHP != a bunch of scripting. :)  But it
can be later...

I still think flat HTML will work just fine but doing it with PHP will make
life a lot easier. It is essentially the exact same but you're making good
use of a few includes to save headaches down the road.

Will