[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Nov 11 23:32:02 CST 2008

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:
>

>> The final question: is it really mandatory to learn program to work out
>> most small-mid web projects?
>>

> I think, respectfully, the problem is mis-stated.
>
> Can you create a small-to-mid-size web site that meets 21st-century
> user expectations without programming but with an incredible amount
> of tedious, ongoing, manual effort? You betcha. Well, sort of. OK, not
> really -- it's still going to be 199x brochureware. Bargain rack at the
> discount web store.

Yes I did several such projects, not because I don't know programming
but because programming is not required in these projects. For example
www.c-can.cn (not much to see outside, most content is only available
for internal users because it's a website only for community members)
where I used drupal. The other time I used wordpress. These CMS simply
have all the features there. If I need RSS feed or comment moderation, I
just enable these features in configuration.

I of course have other projects that programming is heavily involved,
e.g. http://www.german-company-directory.com (because that's a database,
I am the main dev in that database, my name is still in there as
"author" meta data in <head>)
> Can you cut out a lot of that effort, be more productive, and provide
> real value to your clients by learning -- or outsourcing -- some *very*
> simple programming? Yes.
>
> I developed my first -- actually, the first -- dynamic web site in 1995
> because it just made sense for so many reasons. I've never found a
> situation since that made a static-site model any more attractive, or
> less work.

What made you think a website built without writing program is an
application that is not dynamic? You can USE program instead of WRITING
program. A lot of CMS software is born to let making dynamic website
without programming.

Back in 1995 there is no good CMS that makes you dynamic website without
programming. If you start a web design career it could be different now.