[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed Nov 12 00:07:34 CST 2008

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com> wrote:
>

>> What made you think a website built without writing program is an
>> application that is not dynamic? You can USE program instead of WRITING
>> program.
>>

> Of course. I thought the question was about developing a site using
> static HTML, with all the painful tedium that implies, versus building
> a dynamic site, whether you develop custom code or use some other
> developers' code.

Oh I was only valuing between static XHTML/CSS and CMS based solution in
the original post. The discussion of writing PHP is what other people
started dragging me into the discussion.

Me: static or CMS? (programming is ruled out in the begining)
Others: static should be able to do the work.
Me: no, I found it doesn't work, because ... (I wrote an article about
why: http://www.zhangweiwu.name/081111.html), so I guess I still need to
use CMS;
Others: why such stupid code in 081111.html? You can write  a PHP code
much simpler (I knew! I ruled out programming in the beginning).
Me: I wanted to avoid training my trainee writing program, it can be
boring for her and time consuming for me.
Others: PHP is not bad, it can work, this way, that way, this way...
[since here, all the discussion assume I am anti PHP dynamic page and
prefer static page, and trying to convince me PHP could work (yes I know
it could work). I guess that's because I am too stupid & less
language-skilled to drive the discussion back to the original question]

The only person who get this seems to be "Will", who argue the PHP
templates can be considered not programming because it only involve
inclusion and passing variable but no programming logic, thus is much
simpler concept to learn and manage than learning programming, so I
don't have to rule out programming language because having ruled out
programming. Thanks for getting my point even through my bad English.
Also thanks Martin Burns, who provided me link that showed me SSI can
also does passing variable and inclusion without a real programming
language support.