[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with only HTML/CSS skill?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Nov 13 20:50:29 CST 2008

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Bob Meetin 写道:
>
>> Whatever solution you choose:
>>
> Thanks a lot for the item-by-item informative reply.
>
>> 2) I learned recently that I could add the following line to my
>> .htaccess file to get .html files to work like .php files:
>>
>> AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm .html
>>
>> I investigated this because #1 was the case on a client's site.
>>
> Luckily we are her hosting company, so we have the influence. Thanks for
> the information.

-->> lucky assuming you're not hosting out of the trunk of your car.
there are some curious situations out there.  some rather evasive
techniques.  <<--
>> 3) If you are an advent of table-less design, then take a very deep
>> breath if Contribute enters the conversation.  Table-less design and
>> Contribute don't respect one another.  Also to note, Contribute does not
>> shake hands glowingly with PHP include files. Rolling eyeballs beware.
>>

> Fortunately (Unfortunately?) that the tutorial book she went through
> with my help does not mention how to layout using <table> at all, so she
> ends up not knowing it. Well, I picked the book.
>
>> 4) If you choose to go with any CMS or CMS-clone system that results in
>> new file names then it is vital that you set up redirects in your
>> .htaccess file, otherwise the site could lose years' worth of built up
>> search engine rankings.
>>

> Cool URI doesn't change, right? I'm not even going to rename them:)
> Thanks for noticing.
>
> I couldn't believe Joomula couldn't generate neat URI. It should be that
> it is only not good at redirecting old URI instead.

There is some functionality in Joomla for user-friendly URL's which I've
played with but haven't had the need to implement.  Regardless you still
need a method of setting up redirects whether it be from within the
administration utility or direct access to the .htaccess file.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!