[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Joel D Canfield Joel at CommonsenseEntrepreneur.com
Mon Nov 24 15:08:39 CST 2008

> > Any advice from thelist from anyone who has done this successfully?
>
> Save up and build your client list until you have no choice but to
> leave your full time job.

while I understand what Randal's saying, and everbuddy's gotta make
their own choices, I really truly did jump ship with virtually no
notice, no savings, four kids, and wife making just over minimum wage,
during tough economic times (more than a decade ago, during the *last*
recession) and it was the best business decision I've ever made. it is
counterintuitive, I know. don't make decisions based on fear. or money.
neither is a healthy motivation. (yes, it really is about happiness.)

I continue to be astounded that anyone still has a real job. some fairly
polar perceptions here (which surprises me not one tiny bit.)

but if you decide to go the 'save up clients, then jump' track down Seth
Godin's free eBook "The Bootstrapper's Bible" (or just do that anyway.)

joel