[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:27:34 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Phil Turmel <pturmel-webdev at turmel.org> wrote:

> My comment wasn't a blanket condemnation of working on the side--just if
> you are competing against your full-time employer.
>
> If my verbage wasn't clear enough on that, please accept my apologies.

Sorry if I got a little snarky. No worries.

The points you made were clearly valid. Everyone has to be cognizant
of the fact that they are working under contract when they are
employed, and you do have to abide by the agreement. And you made
another good point about how, if you had taken a different path, your
larger clients surely wouldn't have hired you. The point there being
that you do have to be very careful about how your present yourself.
That includes the online sphere -- Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and so
on. These things are part of your professional reputation, no matter
who your employer is.

Back to work:)

--
Randal Rust