[thelist] Linking license?

FayeC ftarzwell at fayec.com
Thu Nov 27 12:03:29 CST 2008

Hi,

At my day job I have been asked to place a link to an online newspaper
article on our public site.
My question is regarding the licensing. I read the information on the
newspaper site and they require payment if one wants a pdf version of the
article for posting or if one would like the html version for hosting on
one's site.
No mention to licensing requirements for just linking.
Is it still necessary (I remember that in the past some companies wouldn't
allow others to link to their pages but I am not sure if this has changed)
to require permission to link to a page on another site or cross linking
doesn't require that?

What is the consensus on this matter?

Thank you,

FayeC