[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Sat Nov 29 08:26:00 CST 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 14:40, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> My earlier comment was in response to someone's suggestion that
> Agile means developers spontaneously create features without any
> input from the client. And that's simply wrong.

I was exaggerating for dramatic effect, only because I am often tempted to do
that. So yes, it is the wrong approach. However that is not to say it doesn't
happen - a flawed (ie real-world) implementation of Agile/XP could look like
a simple relaxation of discipline - that, it seems to me, is the central
challenge of it: always producing something useful, beautiful, on-time and
on-budget, with few fences.

> > I think the consultative approach should be imperative.
>
> Without it, it's not Agile. :-)

We can probably agree that even in a hardcore BDUF approach one should listen
to and consult with client/GoalOwner not only initially but as deliverables
come down the pipe. Iterations can happen either way, it's just a matter of
getting sign-off on each so the checks get cut.

I think this has been a great thread, and we are all pretty close probably in
how things get done in the real world, at least us freelancing/client-service
types. There are are certain Agile methods that you can utilize depending on
your situation (although cherry-picking would be frowned upon by diehards).
In fact, with long-term clients where we are maintaining and updating
existing apps, there is a large degree of mutual trust and understanding of
their business. In these cases our practices actually look very agile
(small-a, with constraints based on the fact that there is no shared office).
Maybe with the right team and the right client who is inclined to put a lot
of trust in you, you can even sell it from the get-go - that is an
interesting possibility I had never seriously considered until now. So thanks
for that -

regards,
Sam