[thelist] nomenclature - site map / web site

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Wed Dec 3 17:38:24 CST 2008

Jeremy Weiss wrote:
> While we're at it, which of these is proper:
>
> E-Mail or E-mail or e-mail or email
> Internet or internet
>
> -jeremy
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
>
>> Which is accepted, which is correct?

It depends.  And I agree with Joel, but then, too, there comes a time
when you have to make a choice and run with it.

If you are writing for a publication, you should check with that
publication.  If you are writing for evolt.org, we always captalized Web
site until we didn't anymore.  (I personally have a hard enough time
here knowing whether to write like an American or not.)

I personally blame Wired Digital for a lot of these issues.  In 1998 I
purchased a book called "Wired Style" in which they attempted to resolve
a lot of this stuff.  They were, especially back then (being located in
SF, CA, epicenter of dotcomdumb) considered to be awesome predictors of
the future and know-it-all of all things digital.  Wired Style said to
write "website" like this: "Web site."  Wired Style said that "Internet"
too was to be capitalized.  I think email was "e-mail."

Then, three years ago (or so) they changed course on most of it.  It was
like, "psyche!" now you can write "website!" and "internet" (that one
still doesn't feel right for me for reasons too tiresome to get into.

Now we have all this legacy content with "Web site" and "Internet."  So
you know what I think?

whatever.

Erika