[thelist] nomenclature - site map / web site

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Dec 4 16:42:12 CST 2008

kate wrote:
> World Wide Web is a proper noun.  There is only one World Wide Web

This has been interesting, a few eye-openers, a few reminders, not as
spirited as a CMS discussion revival, but worthy.  The survey says:

* web site or website --> website
* site map or sitemap --> sitemap
* E-Mail or E-mail or e-mail or email --> e-mail
* Internet or internet --> either apparently accepted
* Web site? --> I will stay with website, not to confuse things, and
accept the changing order to lower-casing
* Login or Log in --> use login as the noun and log in as the verb form
(this was a good reminder, case probably relevant to current usage)
* loggingin or logging in? --> the jury will be out indefinitely, I am
not touching this...

About capitalization, I always capitalize Mother, my Mother - I feel
that there is more than simply proper noun as the issue, it is respect.
However with Internet or Web site or E-Mail, I don't feel that same
need.  Am I going to offend the internet by referring to it in lower-case?

Grammar snob? - Living the life of a perfectionist has its drawbacks.
It's easy to accept poor grammar in any language when it's not the
person's regular tongue (and the person is making an Effort), but when
the person is capable and chooses to get sloppy or lazy that's when it
becomes a challenge.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!