[thelist] Drupal... what's with the sudden hype?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Fri Dec 5 05:12:58 CST 2008

Hi,

As a Drupal enthusiast, I'm gonna try to answer a few of your questions...

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:48:13 +0000, Tris <beertastic at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point and questions are:
>
> 1. Where did this influx of Drupal fever come from?
> 2. Why can't a non tech big wig understand that it's a PHP application
> and a PHP developer would be suited to help them.
> 3. Has anyone else been hounded by recruiters for Drupal only work..
> 4. Am I deludng myself... is Drupal really hard to master?

1. I don't really know, but Drupal's popularity is gaining ground quickly.
2. They're not technical, that's why they don't understand. That said and
done, I do think that there is a certain amount of truth in that.
3. While I don't live in the States or the UK, I do get folks looking for
Drupal expertise fairly often in my local area.
4. Drupal is more than just a CMS. It's a content management framework.

Drupal has a huge API that you need to at least be aware of, and this API
is what makes Drupal so powerful. The number of things you can do with
Drupal's API is quite amazing. Having a good knowledge of this API means
that you can write Drupal modules that can do almost anything. I think this
is one of the reasons why folks are looking for "Drupal" developers.

Drupal also has a huge range of open source contributed modules. More often
than not, one can build a custom site without touching a line of code, just
because you know which modules to use and how to use them effectively.

I don't think this will answer your question(s), but I hope it goes some
way toward explaining why folks are looking for "Drupal" developers.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/