[thelist] why web pages look having different color on different LCDs?

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Sun Dec 7 12:43:27 CST 2008

On Sunday 07 December 2008 11:28, Bob Meetin wrote:
> If I move the monitor over to that other, Windows PC, the colors are as
> they should be. What tool or application do I need to access, even
> download, to correct this?  I don't see any screen setting under Display
> that control the number or array of colors.

Sounds like the brightness/contrast/gamma is way off...

This is more because of the different video cards in the two machines, not the
OS. Probably a good idea to calibrate the monitor anytime you move it anyway,
especially between machines - so make sure your black level and white level
is correct, and your color temp is right for your room.

But if you still want to tweak the linux box's settings, start here:

<tip type="design">
keep your LCD monitor reasonably well calibrated at all times