[thelist] why web pages look having different color on different LCDs?

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Sun Dec 7 12:43:27 CST 2008

On Sunday 07 December 2008 11:28, Bob Meetin wrote:
> If I move the monitor over to that other, Windows PC, the colors are as
> they should be. What tool or application do I need to access, even
> download, to correct this?  I don't see any screen setting under Display
> that control the number or array of colors.

Sounds like the brightness/contrast/gamma is way off...
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

This is more because of the different video cards in the two machines, not the
OS. Probably a good idea to calibrate the monitor anytime you move it anyway,
especially between machines - so make sure your black level and white level
is correct, and your color temp is right for your room.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

But if you still want to tweak the linux box's settings, start here:
http://www.linux.com/articles/113936

<tip type="design">
keep your LCD monitor reasonably well calibrated at all times
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
</tip>

enjoy,
Sam