[thelist] Financial Situation

UIT DEV UITDEV at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 13:34:32 CST 2008

Absolutely not.  My worth to a client is the same no matter what the
"economic situation".

Those who do, who will, or who agree - you have to ask yourself this
question:  Would you INCREASE your rates in times of prosperity?   If so,
isnt that gouging?    I havent seen electricians, plumbers, home
renovation/repair workers, lawyers or doctors lower their rates yet.

I take my cue from those professionals.  I will never lower my rates.  If my
client wants lower rates then they can go elsewhere - outsource to India if
they want.  And they run the risk of others who have done so -- the quality
of the work suffers tremendously.   If I have to match those outsourced
rates then I may as well work at Target or Home Depot  and *not* have the
level of responsibility that a software developer has.

Sorry.  Anyone who lowers rates is perpetuating a problem within the
software developer profession where we already give too much advice and work
away for nothing as it is!

My two cents.