[thelist] Scaling text

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Fri Dec 12 10:07:36 CST 2008

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
> <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The CSS3 draft includes proposals for a calc() function and a vw length
>> unit that represents the viewport width:
>
> And yet people criticized Netscape 4's JSSS -- JavaScript Style Sheets --
> which let you do exactly that (among other things) 10+ years ago.

Which people? Criticized for what?

Though I'm not deeply familiar with the inner workings of W3C, It's hard
for me to imagine that, in the 90s, the Microsoft people would have let
a Netscape-created proposal pass uncriticized, and vice versa.

1996 JSSS proposal
http://www.w3.org/Submission/1996/1/WD-jsss-960822

and earlier....
"The downside is that this is all possible only with Netscape 4.0,
currently available as a beta evaluation product. While cascading style
sheets are formally defined by the World Wide Web Consortium as a
Recommended Standard, JavaScript Style Sheets are defined and controlled
by Netscape."
http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-04-1997/swol-04-webmaster.html

ah, Netscape 4.

Erika