[thelist] mail() on windows server

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Dec 29 11:46:38 CST 2008

Bob,

Windows is requiring you to use SMTP to send your e-mail. Your best best
is to download the PHP Mailer Class[1] and extend it to fit your own
purposes. That should work just fine.

[1] - http://phpmailer.codeworxtech.com/index.php?pg=sf&p=dl
<http://phpmailer.codeworxtech.com/index.php?pg=sf&p=dl>

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com

---------------------------------------

Okay, I've been going through the suggestions and still haven't gotten
this to work.   I could very easily punt and move the site to hostgator
(takes 15 minutes max) and get it to work or keep plugging at this.

On the windows server I have tried some of the options that suggest to
make changes to the php.ini, but I have to do via .htaccess to set the
smtp server but no luck.  I also added a couple lines in the contact.php
file which, if I understand, should make this work, but also no luck.
In contact.php:

ini_set("sendmail_from", "bobm at dottedi.biz");
#ini_set("smtp", "smtp-9.luxsci.com"); // preferred choice
ini_set("smtp", "mail.dottedi.biz"); // should work fine
ini_set("smtp_port", "25");

I took a look at phpmailer.  I like it and am able to get it to work on
the linux server, but not windows using the same SMTP settings.  I don't
think it is a problem with the path as it seems to attempt to connect.
phpmailer includes a function to email attachments - I will use that for
other purposes.

Before I punt and move the domain, any other suggestions?  At this point
it's just to know....

Thx, Bob