[thelist] PDF generation

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Jan 3 15:37:22 CST 2009

I'm currently using htmldoc[1] to generate pdfs for a non-profit
client.  htmldoc converts html3.2 to a pdf.  It works ok, but is
pressing its limits due to its layout abilities and lack of css
support and utf8.  So, looking for something better.

The pdf generator must run on Linux and use text files to generate the
final pdf.  One thing they are doing is generating invoices, so has to
be smart about tables, and pagination -- which I assume is not
uncommon.

I like the idea of using html to generate the pdfs since the client is
familiar with html.  But, as long as the markup isn't too obscure it
should not be too hard.  I suspect that means LaTeX is not a great
option.

What are you using currently for server-side PDF generation?

Thanks,

[1] http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

--
Bill Moseley