[thelist] Payment offsite or on site?

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:00:06 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> What are your opinions about the off-site approach these days?  Think
> users care?

I guess I would have to say on the user side it doesn't matter that much
these days. So many professional sites use Paypal simply because it -is- a
standard of payment on the internet.

My question would mostly be concerned with money: Am I going to save more
going through, for example, authorize.net, or PayPal? Other things like are
the charges ONLY going to be made through the website, or will the need
arise where you have to charge them manually for items come to mind.

Personally, I would prefer managing it outside of Paypal, simply for the
control and the fact that by including Paypal you introduce a source more
likely to cause headaches (for example, if the customer -does- have a paypal
account and wants to use their credit card, they're forced to sign in. It
may be more secure, but I've seen that as an inconvenience more often than
not.)

Those are just a few things I think about. I generally spend a good few days
chewing over decisions like that, but that's my own personal method.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com