[thelist] Is Philoi bugged? and another AVG query!

L. Mohan Arun (marun2@gmail.com) marun2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:42:17 CST 2009

I was trying to use the site www.philoi.com. Immediately on visiting the
page, my resident AVG shield popped up something about some malware in a GIF
file! I never thought it is possible that a GIF file could contain any
malware. Is this possible? Does the same stuff happen to get caught in other
antivirus software on visiting this page?

Another query: I have installed AVG antivirus in my system. During
installation, I mistakenly checked the "AVG toolbar for IE" and the toolbar
got installed. It serves no useful purpose other than occupying browser
space, and I would like to uninstall the toolbar alone. There seems to be no
entry in the "Add/Remove programs" control panel applet.

I have turned off the toolbar by unchecking it in View > toolbars. I am
using IE 7. How can I safely remove the AVG toolbar alone without affecting
the main AVG installation? I have checked all the AVG options and there are
no options to disable the toolbar alone.

--
Read my blog
http://interestsblog.blogspot.com/