[thelist] Link Text and SEO

Sarah Adams sarahwbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:10:37 CST 2009

>> I'm going to guess that you are joking, but just in case you're not, and
>> for the benefit of others... This is a risky way of trying to trick the
>> search engines. While you may not see any negative result right away, it
>> could get the site banned form search engines.
>> http://www.seologic.com/faq/hidden-text.php
>> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66353
> And if SEs are blocked from css via robots.txt, how are they going to know?
> And how would they differentiate from 'legitimate' uses of such CSS
> properties?

Good points. Although I would think that just because (reputable) search
engines won't index your CSS if blocked by robots.txt, that doesn't mean
they won't look at it. I could be totally wrong about that, of course.

But the tip about hidden text being frowned upon came straight from the
horse's mouth (i.e. Google), so why take your chances?

sarah adams
web developer & programmer