[thelist] Very Large MySQL Table

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:38:37 CST 2009

You may recall that I recently asked about running searches against
domain names. I have now gotten a .com zone file from Verisign, which
is basically a list of all registered .com domain names. I imported it
into my local MySQL. There are ~ 185,000,000 domain names and it's too
much for my workstation to run searches on. Just running count(*)
takes 10 minutes. It's 6G of data.

We want to run searches basically to find domain names with certain
words or phrases.

We don't have a dedicated server for this but his web account does
have disk space for 6Gs, but I am wondering if we will be able to run
searches. His idea was to break it up into 8 pieces, and then to run
each search 8 times, against just that one eighth of the full list.

Anyone have any better idea?

Thanks!