[thelist] Very Large MySQL Table

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 14:00:57 CST 2009

> > They don't use relational databases - relational databases are
> relatively
> > slow in the "database" world.
>
> Aha. Makes sense.
>
> > Oh, and they don't use a shared web hosting account :)
>
> LOL
>
> OK, now I know their secret. ;)

Another important thing about DNS lookups is that they are looking up an
exact string. This is vastly quicker than looking for a substring.
You'll see what I mean if you try this experiment with your local phone
directory. First try looking up the surname "Smith", and then try
looking up all entries where the surname contains the substring "mit"
:-)

Jason