[thelist] server to server connection

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Feb 25 18:32:11 CST 2009

Where are the Linux web server and Windows server located?

Even from a DMZ -> Internal Network scenario, this type of thing usually isn't permitted (the other way is a different story).

If the Linux box is sitting in some data center somewhere, then I'd strongly advise against this type of thing. Copy the data from the Windows box to the Linux box instead.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Paul Bennett
Sent: Thursday, 26 February 2009 10:23 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] server to server connection

Hi all,

I've been asked to manage the setting up of a connection from one server
to another. The first server is a Linux webserver which needs file
system access to a windows server sitting inside a corporate network.

I won't be setting up the connection, but will be making a
recommendation and then communicating with an external company to do the
work.

Does anyone know of a technology or protocol which is appropriate here?
The only experience I have with VPN is for desktop-based (RDP)
connection into a network. Is SSH better here, or is a VPN connection
the best way to go? (Or is there a 3rd option I'm not aware of)

I need an open protocol that the Linux box is going to be able to run
and that will allow file system access to the windows box.

Befuddled,
Paul