[thelist] Very Large MySQL Table

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:38:58 CST 2009

To clarify this matter, I think grep is working. Firstly I removed
duplicates and the raw file went from 6.3 G to 2.4G. Here is a sample
of the file before:

ERIK-TONEN-BOOKS NS NS2.WIDEXS.NET.
ERIK-TONEN-BOOKS NS NS1.WIDEXS.NL.
ERIK-TONEN-BOOKS NS NS3.WIDEXS.NL.
JUST NS NS1.PARKED
JUST NS NS2.PARKED
OAPI NS NS47.WORLDNIC
OAPI NS NS48.WORLDNIC

and here is my next file with first the numerical representation of
the domain and then the domain name:

37458663626657 = ERIK-TONEN-BOOKS
5878 = JUST
6274 = OAPI

The searches are actually being run on the numbers and grep is perfect
because we WANT to find all occurrences of the search string (a list
of digits). All I do now is run grep on this file and spit out the
results and a search for 229885524, for example, takes just under 30
seconds and returns 1 line. Searching for 22988552 is the same and
returns two rows.

I am now downgrading the VPS, but for now, this performance is
entirely satisfactory--this is not a public tool--it's just for one
person. :)

Thanks.