[thelist] Moving Menu Items

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:05:07 CDT 2009

I'm with Ben — this is a horrible idea usability-wise.
Your boss probably thinks that having the active item closest to the top
makes its relevance to the current page state clearer, but menus and tables
of content have existed for yonks and that is not how they work: people rely
on navigational elements sticking to the same sequence, otherwise they
become disoriented, lose their bearings or start to think that the change of
sequence has some significance (which it doesn't). If the page changes
colour to reflect location, surely the job of indicating location is already
done?

In my personal experience, situations where an amateur's technically
difficult bad design idea is thrust upon the techy to painstakingly
implement end in tears. But anyway, now I've lectured you on how to do your
job and why you shouldn't go ahead with this, let's help you go ahead with
it ;) — can you tell us how this thing is structured in the markup, and if
you have any javascript libraries?

Regards,
Barney Carroll
Web designer & front-end developer