[thelist] Forms with single text inputs and HTML spec - Help?

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:41:05 CDT 2009

Hi all-

The HTML spec (
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_8.html#SEC8.2 ) says:

When there is only one single-line text input field in a form, the
user agent should accept Enter in that field as a request to submit
the form.

I'm trying to do an AJAX form submission  of a form with "only one
single-line text input field" and no matter what I do, when I hit the
ENTER button in major browsers, the form is submitted as a GET request
with a query string.

The site does NOT need to be accessable and any javascripted solutions
do NOT need to be degradable or enhance progressively.

Any thoughts on how to stop this behavior?

Thanks!

-Jay