[thelist] phpBB hacked and Crystal Tech isn't being very helpful

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:31:23 CDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Joel D Canfield <Joel at bizba6.com> wrote:

> I'm not a MySQL admin, nor do I know much about PHP security. But I
> can't find any helpful info about preventing this from happening again,
> and Crystal Tech is pretty much leaving it up to me.
>
> joel

Permissions don't have when there's exploits in the code, and that's what
phpBB basically is. It is something to stay far, far, far away from. I had a
friend with phpBB on his home server (even after I warned him), and they
somehow managed to get a virus uploaded to it.

I would recommend IPB if you really want a premade forum software, like Kate
said. I used it forever before I finally made my own.

I purchased the standalone license, personally. Was very much worth it.
Beautiful system, too.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com