[thelist] What's a Programmer To Do?

Jon Molesa rjmolesa at consoltec.net
Wed Apr 1 09:08:46 CDT 2009

I understand the pain and am personally moving away from Wordpress to
CakePHP for the same reasons.  Upgrading is such a hassle and I can't
run multiple WP installs off one code base.  With Cake I have the core
in a system-wide location, apps in another, and html in the public
folder.  I can symlink a specific cake version to just cake, or keep
certain sites running on a specific version of cake if I like.  Or I can
upgrade them all by just replacing the core folder, in my case recreate
a symlink.  It's nice, clean, simple, scalable and I get to write the
site/application specific code while not reinventing the wheel with each
project.  I get the level of control I'm seeking as well.  IMHO, Drupal
is not a framework and there's a huge deal of effort spent to my
customizable user interfaces.  I don't understand that really.  Once an
interface is set up to add/edit/delete data the only time the interface
should change is if the data definition changes.  It just seems like a
lot of configuration that I'd rather not do.  That specific issue make
it difficult to deploy Drupal code to an already running live site.  All
the manual configuration that was performed on the development side has
to then be duplicated on the live site.  Drupal is nice to get a CMS up
and running quickly, but in my experience, it's more work than necessary
long-term.