[thelist] What's a Programmer To Do?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 04:03:59 CDT 2009

On 1 Apr 2009, at 14:22, Fred Jones wrote:

> I am getting mildly tired of Drupal. One reason is that I just learned
> about the upgrade and EOL issue (Drupal 5 will be EOL'd later this
> year meaning no more security updates. I didn't realize that when I
> built over a dozen sites with it in the past year or so). Second is
> that Drupal is a lot about configuration and using available module
> code and less about just programming. I miss programming. I studied it
> in University and I like it but I don't do *so* much of it now. :(

Which is all well and good, but I'm going to play devil's advocate
(actually, client's advocate) for a minute:

Unless you can convince me that custom coding is faster/cheaper than
configuring a CMS, then you can satisfy your programming urges on your
*own* time. All you'll leave me with is a less maintainable, less
tested site where time has been wasted re-solving standard problems.

Cheers
Martin