[thelist] What's a Programmer To Do?

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:25:12 CDT 2009

> Which is all well and good, but I'm going to play devil's advocate
> (actually, client's advocate) for a minute:
>
> Unless you can convince me that custom coding is faster/cheaper than
> configuring a CMS, then you can satisfy your programming urges on your
> *own* time. All you'll leave me with is a less maintainable, less
> tested site where time has been wasted re-solving standard problems.

In theory you are correct. My feeling/intention was to find another
system (like CakePHP for example) to work with. One that perhaps
inherently involves more programming. If you hang out on the Drupal
lists and forums then your contacts and clients will be Drupal ones,
but if you hang out other places, then, at least I would expect, you
would (eventually) get involved in other projects more fitting for
that system.

Some systems, like Drupal, lend themselves to configuration while
others, like Cake, lend themselves to programming. Those two anyway
are quite different tools with very different audiences and purposes.

I wouldn't want to reinvent any wheels, but I would like to get my
hands a bit dirtier with code. :)

Thanks.