[thelist] PayPal standard and verification

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Apr 4 23:21:12 CDT 2009

For PayPal Standard the user is redirected to the PayPal site for the
purchase.  Also when the IPN and PDT requests come in you again
contact PayPal to verify that the requests received are valid.

We have had some reports where a PDT transaction comes in and then the
POST back to PayPal to verify fails (can't connect to PayPal to
verify).

One developer is recommending that we attempt to connect to PayPal
before we even show the PayPal "buttons" -- i.e. make sure PayPal can
be reached first.

I'm just curious if others have experienced this situation and how
you handle it.  Do you attempt a connection of some type to PayPal
before redirecting the users to PayPal?  What do you do if you receive
a PayPal IPN or PDT response and then can't verify it?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org