[thelist] eCommerce - transaction status

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:08:03 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
> this might actually be a business owner decision, but occasionally they
> need guidance.
>
> eCommerce programs commonly include some functionality to set
> transaction status - such as pending, processed, etc
>
> Q: How do you typically set the status?

Usually it's either pending or complete for what I do. Anything up to
confirm charge. Then again, never had to worry about saving shopping
carts, etc. Namely because the guy in my job at the time thought it
was too much work to make the site convenient for users. I guess it
depends on what you're doing, but isn't it just "Put your crap in the
cart, pay for crap, get crap."

> Q: Should the business owner then update to closed or whatever after the
> product is processed?

See above.

> Q: This might lead to debate, but at point should the CC actually get
> charged?

Typically it's second to the last step of the process, last being
"Tada! Here's your crap/Your crap is being sent!". I don't know if
there will be that big of a debate: I can't think of a reason why
you'd want to charge it sooner or later.

Craptastic day! Lost my iPhone in my own house and nobody can find it.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com