[thelist] eCommerce - transaction status [OT]

Brian Cummiskey brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Apr 23 19:13:54 CDT 2009

Jack Timmons wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Brian Cummiskey <brian at hondaswap.com> wrote:
>> It is illegal to charge a credit card before the item has shipped.
>
> I would have to argue this. We've done business for the past 15 years
> charge first then shipping. Nothing ever mentioned about it being
> illegal.
>
> Where's your evidence of such? Is it a state thing? As Hassan said,
> how could you ever ensure they're actually paying  you?

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/rules_for_visa_merchants.pdf

page 126 of the PDF

Reason Code 30: Services Not Provided or Merchandise
Not Received
Definition
The card issuer received a claim from a cardholder that merchandise or
services
ordered were not received or that the cardholder cancelled the order as
the result
of not receiving the merchandise or services by the expected delivery date .

Most
Common
Causes
The merchant:

· Billed for the transaction before shipping the merchandise