[thelist] Developing on OSX

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Wed Apr 29 17:20:25 CDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Fred Jones wrote:

> I am now a newbie to OSX (10.5.6) and I am looking to start working
> with it. So far it looks pretty slick. :)
>
> If I may, I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is it recommended to install xAMP one piece at a time? On Windows I
> once tried the WAMP prepackaged installer and it was a mess--installed
> things in an odd way with extra garbage etc. I would never do that
> again. and in Linux, it's fairly easy to just install the packages
> from the command line. Someone told me to use the MAMP installer but
> it makes me nervous. :)

I use MAMP. Works fine and doesn't leave garbage all over the place.

> 2. Is there a recommended Windows emulator or is Darwine the way to
> go? There are a few apps I still will need. IE being one of them. :) I
> see there is now IEs4Mac but perhaps also an virtualizer for a full
> Windows OS might be good.

I use VirtualBox to run Windows (and other) VMs as needed.
Multiplatform, free, works great.
http://virtualbox.org

> 3. I need a time tracker app. I have been using this
> http://www.allnetic.com/ for years and it's great. Now I need a Mac
> app.

I use Fanurio. Not free, but it does time tracking and invoicing
nicely. Cross platform and responsive developers.
http://www.fanuriotimetracking.com/

If you're looking for a kickass programming editor, I highly recommend
TextMate. When I want a full IDE, I use Eclipse PDT for debugging, etc.

http://macromates.com/
http://eclipse.org/pdt/

-Pete