[thelist] basic Joomla question

Sarah Adams sarahwbs at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:20:36 CDT 2009

> I have been asked to add a graphic for a sponsor of an event to a website
> created with Joomla (they asked if I knew Joomla, I said sure! Does anyone
> else do that, ha ha, I know I will figure it out.) I know Drupal better, in
> Drupal terms, I am looking to add a block to the left side of the page under
> the main menu. I have uploaded an image to use, which has to be a link.
> Can someone point me to the Joomla term for what I am trying to do, is it a
> component, or section or category? Is this a banner? And how do you add this
> to a page?

I might not have this 100% right, cause I've only edited Joomla
templates, haven't created one from scratch yet, but hopefully it'll
send you in the right direction.

What you are looking to add is a module. So in the administrator go to
Extensions > Module Manager > New. Probably the Custom HTML module is
what you need for a simple image and link. Once you get to the Edit
Module screen, you can choose the appropriate Position for the module.
Each template has a certain number of positions defined. You can see in
templateDetails.xml a section like this:
  <positions>
    <position>header</position>
    <position>nav</position>
    <position>footer</position>
  </positions>
Then in the template itself each position is output like this:
  <?php if ($this->countModules('header')) { ?>
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="header" style="myheader" />
  <?php } ?>

Good luck!

--
sarah adams