[thelist] Easy Server Setup

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:45:49 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>wrote:

> I setup a very simple Ubuntu 8.1 VPS for someone, just so he could run
> a CPU-intensive search for private use. That project was actually
> discussed here a few months back--we ended up using grep for a search
> and it works well. :)
>
> But he's so happy with it that he wants me to move his 5 other regular
> websites from shared hosting to this VPS.
>
> I would like the simplest path to managing the server because I am not
> much of a sysadmin. I have MySQL, PHP and Apache installed and
> working. I just want a tool to allow me to manage various sites. I see
> that the webmin tool appears to be the way to go but there's also
> this: http://ubuntuservermanager.org/
>
> The VPS has CLI only of course.
>
> Can anyone advise what is the way to go here? Yes, I *know* it can all
> be done via config files, but I would have to look up *most * of the
> details how to set those up properly.

Well, I'm gonna try to put them in order of preference, and also include
paid ones (you didn't mention if he was looking strictly open source ones).

http://www.ispconfig.org
http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html
http://www.ravencore.com/
http://www.web-cp.net/features.php
http://www.cpanel.net/
http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/

I would bet on ISPConfig (from what I've heard), but I've never used any of
those besides CPanel and Plesk. I usually do everything by hand since I work
configuring servers for businesses (setup once, give them an e-mail
management interface, then rarely change something).

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz