[thelist] Shopping cart - Virtuemart - UPS - rates wrong

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun May 17 20:22:46 CDT 2009

Bob Meetin wrote:
> I am finishing up a shop set up using Virtuemart on Joomla.  Almost all
> has gone very well.  In configuring the api with UPS it works but I'm
> getting incorrect rates, about 40% low with UPS ground.  I've gone
> through numerous scenarios and have triple-checked store configuration,
> UPS shipping configuration, all but the kitchen sink.  The test store is
> located at www.dottedi.biz/demo2 . I have been using a 48 lb package as
> the benchmark, store located in zip 80501 and set up a customer in zip
> 94043.
>
> UPS Rate Quotes, www.ups.com
> Originating zip: 80501
> Destination: 94043
>
> Weight / Ground - Next Day Air
> 48 lbs  / $33.35  - $193.55
>
> Virtuemart cart says: 48 lbs 80501 to 94043 - $23.52 (42% low)
> A demo zen-cart install says: 48 lbs 80501 to 94043 - $33.35 (that's a
> match)
>
> I put up a virtuemart forum post at
> http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=47142.0 with more info
> including the XML post/response.
>
> Kindness appreciated,
> -Bob

Solved - user error, I guess.  The root cause was misunderstanding the
world of how UPS sets up collection types.  there are UPS Pickup Method
options for:

Customer Counter
No Pickup Type
Daily Pickup
One Time Pickup
etc...

In my humble mind I ignored Customer Counter in the configuration as I
assumed that would cost more and would not correlate to what the UPS API
was delivering.  Woefully bad assumption. The numbers match with
"Customer Counter" selected.

-Bob