[thelist] Drupal base URL issue

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Tue May 19 13:15:26 CDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I am doing my very first Drupal installation since 2005, and it is WAY more
complicated these days. I would like the home page for the website to be:
http://www.ga1969.com

but the drupal files live in a folder:
http://www.ga1969.com/drupal-6.12

I cannot figure out how to configure it correctly. From repeated googlings,
I know this involves the $base_url in the settings.php file and  RewriteBase
in the htaccess file. I have tried all kinds of combinations of these two
settings and nothing works. For example:

$base_url =  <http://www.ga1969.com/> http://www.ga1969.com
RewriteBase /drupal-6.12

htaccess commands are not a strength for me. How do I say the drupal files
are found in the drupal folder, but I want them to appear to be in the main
part of the website??????? Do I have to reinstall Drupal and put it in the
root directory for this site? I really hope NOT.

TIA,
Nan