[thelist] taking over web work from a Mac/iWeb user

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Fri May 22 17:35:20 CDT 2009

> we're taking over web maintenance for someone who's built and
> maintained
> their site using only iWeb on their Mac.

The problem isn't the Mac part, it's iWeb. I've taken over a couple of
sites created in iWeb. In short, my advice is "start over". The whole
point of iWeb is that any bozo can put together a pretty site without
knowing anything. The iWeb sites I've seen are hopeless quagmires with
thousands of lines of Javascript, obscenely complicated CSS, and file
structures designed by Kafka. They're opaque to the search engines and
insanely labor intensive to maintain. I repeat, start over!

      Garth

                                my online portfolio

                           http://garthhagerman.com/